Friday, October 3, 2008

WE GOT BAILED OUT, TOO!!

hey, check THIS shit out--you and i actually stand to benefit from the 799 BILLION dollar bailout bill just passed. read this:
Bicycle Commuter Act Passes House, Senate
After seven long years, the bicycle commuter tax provision has finally passed both the House and Senate as part of the financial bailout package. President Bush has said that he is eager to sign the legislation. “We are delighted that the bicycle commuter benefits act has passed after a lengthy and persistent campaign spearheaded by Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR),” said League President Andy Clarke. “Bicycle commuters will now be extended similar benefits to people who take transit and drive to work – it’s an equitable and sensible incentive to encourage greater energy independence, improve air quality and health, and even help tackle climate change. Thanks to everyone who has helped reach this milestone, especially Walter Finch and Mele Williams, our government relations staff over the years who have worked tirelessly with Congressman Blumenauer, Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) and many others in Congress.” Thanks also to all of you around the country who have contacted your congressional leaders over the years. Keep checking back at
www.bikeleague.org as we work on the implementation process.

2 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

While I certainly appreciate this particular act, I am disappointed that the only way to get this passed was to attach it to this particular bailout bill. This is like getting grandma's rocking chair after she dies.

David Glandon said...

I am glad I am not the only one who saw this attachment on to this bill. I feel the same way; like the act, hate the bill. Now that it is signed I am going to try to persuade my employer that because I am a year round commuter they can take advantage of another tax break. Which hopefully show that I not only have great value as a smart and hard worker but also have added value as a cycle commuter. (I’m not holding my breath)